Courtesy of Cathy Yandell
This recipe is similar to Maïmouna Keïta’s version of this delicious Malian dish. Adapted from https://www.culinaemundi.com/recipe/tigua-degue-aka-mafe-chicken-peanut-butter-sauce/.
- 1 chicken, cut in pieces and skin removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp of peanut butter
- 2 tomatoes, chopped + 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into halves
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into four pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into four pieces
- ¼ white or green cabbage, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- Green beans (optional)
- 1 green or red chili, to taste
- 1/2 l of water + 1 chicken stock cube
- Pepper and salt, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat and brown the chicken. Remove chicken from the pot and add the onions. After a few minutes, add the garlic, celery and bell pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, chili and the peanut butter. Cook for 1 minute, then add the water, the stock cube and the chicken pieces.
Simmer for 15 minutes before adding the vegetables except for the sweet potato, which will be added few minutes before the end of the cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 30 minutes until the sauce thickens and all is cooked through. Serve over rice.